Monday, October 4, 2010

Gianna Jessen, A woman with a right to speak.

Disabled with Cerebral Palsy (CP), unwanted, given up for adoption, mistreated in the foster system, and a survivor. Hear her amazing story and her will to live. Today Gianna Jessen knows how valuable she is and shares her unique triumphs over the struggles of life.


You are made, known and your life is planned out from the beginning.

Did not he that made me in the womb make him? and did not one fashion us in the womb? Job 31:15 (King James Version)
13 You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb. 14 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous -- and how well I know it. 15 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. 16 You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. 17 How precious are your thoughts about me, O God! They are innumerable! 18 I can't even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand! And when I wake up in the morning, you are still with me! Psalm 139:13-18 (New Living Translation)
1 Listen to me, all of you in far-off lands! The LORD called me before my birth; from within the womb he called me by name.  ... 5 And now the LORD speaks -- he who formed me in my mother's womb to be his servant, who commissioned me to bring his people of Israel back to him. The LORD has honored me, and my God has given me strength. Isaiah 49:1 & 5 (New Living Translation)
I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb. Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my spokesman to the world. Jeremiah 1:5 (New Living Translation)
John the Baptist jumped in the womb to hear Mary was pregnant with Jesus.
44 For, lo , as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy. Luke 1:44 (King James Version)
We read a Dr. Seuss book to my daughter while she was in the womb. When she was born, I said, "Hand, hand fingers and thumb, One thumb. One thumb. Drumming on a drum...." She immediately turned her head toward my voice and we connected. My daughter is valued and loved and disabled like Gianna. Seeing my daughter overcome these extra challenges is my privilege. Gianna says something worth thinking about, "There are some things you will only learn by the weakest among us."

Women who have unplanned pregnancies should have warm caring environments and not have to deal with the pressures of just surviving. This will take loving people to step forward to help them.

People should know people with disabilities. The disabled are not unable. One ability may be missing but others are sharpened. Ray Charles was blind but his sense of hearing was so acute he used echolocation to walk. He also was of course one of the greatest musicians of the 20th century. My daughter has autism. Autistics are challenged socially but have contributed immensely to the arts and sciences. Leonardo Da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein...are just a few people thought to be autistic. When we hear the word disabled we tend to pity them. If we get to know them we get to know their, as Gianna says, "gift."

Adoptive families have bigger hearts than the rest of us and often families. We often think of the couple that can not have a baby of their own. But that is not always the case. I have seen families that get hooked on adopting. They love kids and enjoy being parents.

A pastor shared with me as he lovingly shared at many pro-life marches. He and his wife when as a young couple. He was in the military and she was at a job just making it by. Well, as young couples do they got pregnant. They struggled with being so young and not ready for a family. They took the quick answer and had an abortion. He shared how they felt the initial pangs of guilt and shame. Over the course of time, they became Christians and later the ministry. They began to understand how much God loves us all and the plans He has for us.

When my pastor friend shares his pro-life message it is out of understanding and love. He has been there with his wife. He understands the pressure and desperation of the situation. How simple it all seems at the moment.

The abortion sterilized his wife. They adopted a crack baby. Born to addiction but miraculously free from the harmful effects. Their family now sponsors many children through World Vision and encourages their church family to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment